Honda GL1500 Gold Wing
Touring motorcycle model "Honda GL1500 Gold Wing" appeared on the market in 1988 as the successor to Honda GL1200 Gold Wing, in contrast to which the new model received a number of technical changes:
- New engine. The boxer 4-cylinder was replaced by the boxer 6-cylinder, the volume increased (1182 → 1520 cm³), the compression ratio increased (9.0 → 9.8: 1), the maximum performance increased (94 → 100 hp; 105 → 150 Nm).
- New frame. New generation duplex steel frame.
- Reverse system. Works through the reverse of the starter.
- New carburettors. Increased in size, now there are only 2 carburetors for the entire engine (one for each three cylinders).
- Brake system. Increased brake discs and became combined.
- Pendants. Equipped with a pneumatic compressor for automatic suspension adjustment.
- Touring options. The standard equipment includes an adjustable windshield, heating and a wardrobe trunk system with central locking.
Also, unlike Gold Wing 1200, the new GL1500 was available in the Japanese market.
In 1989, the model received new enlarged brake discs, new model carburettors and other camshafts.
- Honda GL1500 Gold Wing is the regular version and the only version offered from 1988 to 1990.
- Honda GL1500SE Gold Wing Special Edition - expensive limited edition in honor of the 15th anniversary of the model. It featured colors, ventilated glass, additional lighting, a more expensive audio system, and adjustable footrests and passenger seat.
- Honda GL1500A Gold Wing Aspencade - an anniversary version in honor of the release of the 500,000th Gold Wing motorcycle. In fact it is a Special Edition in different colors and emblems.
- Honda GL1500I Gold Wing Interstate is a stripped-down, cheaper version of the motorcycle. It has no reverse gear, cruise control and passenger platforms. Equipped with a simpler Kenwood audio system (since 1992 - Panasonic).
The Honda GL1500 Gold Wing model existed until 2000, after which it was replaced by a new one - Honda Gold Wing 1800. Based on the GL1500, the Valkyrie series was also built.
Specifications Honda GL1500 Gold Wing:
|Model||Honda GL1500 Gold Wing|
|Motorcycle type||luxury tourer|
|Engine type||6-cylinder, 4-stroke, boxer|
|Working volume||1520 cm³|
|Bore / stroke||71.0 x 64.0 mm|
|Compression ratio||9.8: 1|
|Number of valves per cylinder||SOHC, 2 valves per cylinder (with hydraulic clearance compensators)|
|Fuel supply system||carburetor, 2x Keihin CV, 36mm|
|Ignition type||fully transistor|
|Maximum power|| 100.0 h.p. (73.5 kW) @ 5200 rpm - GL1500
97.0 h.p. (71.3 kW) @ 5000 rpm - GL1500 (Japan)
|Maximum torque||150.0 Nm (15.2 kg * m) at 4000 rpm|
|Front tire size||130 / 70-18 (63H)|
|Rear tire size||160 / 80-16 (75H)|
|Front brakes|| 2 discs, 285mm, 2-piston calipers (combined) - GL1500 (1988)
2 discs, 296 mm, 2-piston calipers (combined) - GL1500 (1989-2000)
|Rear brakes|| 1 disc, 285mm, 2-piston caliper (combined) - GL1500 (1988)
Single disc, 316 mm, 2-piston caliper (combined) - GL1500 (1989-2000)
|Front suspension||telescopic fork (pneumatic with automatic pumping), stroke - 140 mm|
|Rear suspension||linkage with two shock absorbers (pneumatic with automatic pumping), stroke - 105 mm|
|Motorcycle length||2615 mm|
|Motorcycle width||955 mm|
|Motorcycle height||1495 mm|
|Saddle height||740 mm|
|Minimum ground clearance||115 mm|
|Acceleration to 100 km / h||5.26 sec|
|Maximum speed||193 km / h|
|Fuel tank capacity||24.0 l (including reserve - 5.3 l)|
|Motorcycle weight (dry)|| 364 kg / 802 lbs - GL1500A Aspencade
370 kg / 816 lbs - GL1500SE Special Edition
349 kg / 768 lbs - GL1500I Interstate
|Motorcycle weight (curb)|| 399 kg / 879 lbs - GL1500A Aspencade
405 kg / 893 lbs - GL1500SE Special Edition
385 kg / 848 lbs - GL1500I Interstate
The officially declared average fuel consumption of the Honda GL1500 Gold Wing is 7.35 liters per 100 kilometers. The exact value depends on the riding style.