Kawasaki VN 1700 Vulcan
The series of cruisers Kawasaki VN 1700 Vulcan appeared in 2009, replacing Kawasaki VN 1600 Vulcan and Kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan (until 2009 was produced for the American market of the year). The VN1700 model was targeted at foreign markets (North America, Europe and Australia) and is practically not found on the Japanese market.
Unlike the VN1600, the updated VN1700 series receives a number of changes:
- Engine. Increased its volume to 1700 cm³, received a new injection system with enlarged throttle valves (42 mm versus 36 mm) and an electronic throttle drive. Improved performance: 67 hp → 73 hp; 127 Nm → 136 Nm.
- Drive unit. A toothed belt replaced the cardan drive.
- Brake system. There were versions with ABS, touring modifications also received a combined system K-ACT (Kawasaki Advanced Coactive-braking Technology).
- Suspension. The model received a thicker front fork (41 mm → 43 mm (45 mm in touring versions) and adjustable air rear shocks.
- Checkpoint. The traditional 5-speed transmission is being replaced by a 6-speed one.
- Modifications. There are new versions such as the Classic LT (classic + leather cases, glass, different seat and passenger backrest) and full touring versions of Voyager and Vaquero (Voyager Custom).
The main modifications of the Kawasaki VN 1700 Vulcan:
- Kawasaki VN 1700 Vulcan Classic - regular classic version.
- Kawasaki VN 1700 Vulcan Classic LT (Light Tourer) - regular version + windshield + leather side bags + backrest of the passenger seat.
- Kawasaki VN 1700 Vulcan Nomad (Classic Tourer) - version with built-in side plastic trunks, high glass, backrest and cruise control.
- Kawasaki VN 1700 Vulcan Voyager - Touring version with a large front fairing (with high glass), integrated rear and side saddlebags and a leather passenger back (similar to the Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Classic).
- Kawasaki VN 1700 Vulcan Vaquero - the version is similar to the Voyager, but has a short windshield and comes without a passenger backrest and rear trunk (similar to the Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Standard).
Currently (end of 2017) there are only Voyager and Vaquero touring modifications available on the market in North America and Australia.
The main competitors of the Kawasaki VN1700 Vulcan in the class:
Specifications Kawasaki VN 1700 Vulcan:
|Model||Kawasaki Vulcan 1700|
|Engine type||2-cylinder, 4-stroke, V-shaped 50 °|
|Working volume||1700 cm³|
|Bore / Stroke||102.0 x 104.0 mm|
|Compression ratio||9.5: 1|
|Number of valves per cylinder||SOHC, 4 valves per cylinder (with hydraulic clearance compensators)|
|Fuel supply system||DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), 2x MIKUNI EACW42|
|Ignition type||digital transistor TCBI|
|Maximum power||73.4 hp (54.0 kW) at 5000 rpm|
|Maximum torque||136.0 Nm (13.9 kg * m) at 2750 rpm|
|Front tire size||130/90 B16 M / C 67H|
|Rear tire size||170/70 B16 M / C 75H|
|Front brakes||2 discs, 300mm, 2-piston calipers (opt ABS, K-ACT)|
|Rear brakes||1 disc, 300 mm, 2-piston caliper (opt. ABS, K-ACT)|
|Front suspension||43mm Telescopic Fork, 140mm Travel - Vulcan 1700 Classic, Classic LT, Classic Tourer (Nomad)|
45mm Telescopic Fork, 140mm Travel - Vulcan 1700 Voyager, Vaquero
|Rear suspension||Pendulum with two shock absorbers (rebound damping), 80 mm|
|Motorcycle length||2500mm - Vulcan 1700 Classic, Classic LT, Classic Tourer (Nomad)|
2560 mm - Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2510 mm - Vulcan 1700 Vaquero (Voyager Custom)
|Motorcycle width||1025mm - Vulcan 1700 Classic, Classic LT, Classic Tourer (Nomad)|
995mm - Vulcan 1700 Voyager
970 mm - Vulcan 1700 Vaquero (Voyager Custom)
|Motorcycle height||1155 mm - Vulcan 1700 Classic|
1465 mm - Vulcan 1700 Classic LT, Classic Tourer (Nomad)
1550 mm - Vulcan 1700 Voyager
1290mm - Vulcan 1700 Vaquero (Voyager Custom)
|Saddle height||719 mm - Vulcan 1700 Classic, Classic LT|
730 mm - Vulcan 1700 Classic Tourer (Nomad), Voyager, Vaquero (Voyager Custom)
|Minimum ground clearance||130 mm - Vulcan 1700 Classic, Classic LT|
140mm - Vulcan 1700 Classic Tourer (Nomad)
135mm - Vulcan 1700 Voyager
145mm - Vulcan 1700 Vaquero (Voyager Custom)
|Acceleration to 100 km / h||5.40 sec - Vulcan 1700 Vaquero|
|Maximum speed||183 km / h - Vulcan 1700 Vaquero|
|Fuel tank capacity||20.0 l|
|Motorcycle weight (curb)||345 kg - Vulcan 1700 Classic|
378 kg - Vulcan 1700 Classic Tourer (Nomad)
382 kg - Vulcan 1700 Classic Tourer (Nomad) ABS
362 kg - Vulcan 1700 Classic LT
402 kg - Vulcan 1700 Voyager
406 kg - Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS
379 kg - Vulcan 1700 Vaquero (Voyager Custom)
383 kg - Vulcan 1700 Vaquero (Voyager Custom) ABS